Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Frankfurt

Imagine my surprise, when upon arriving at the air-port in Sri Lank to depart for my destination, Chennai, in India, to be asked for a visa, this being the first time I had ever heard that I required to have a visa to enter India. Not having one, nor the time to acquire one, as this process required five days, so I was informed, after attending the Indian Consulate, I then commenced to look at the alternatives available. On a previous occasion I had travelled from Colombo to Frankfurt via Chennai, and not required a visa as this was only to transfer from one flight to another. So I duly enquired if this could be arranged, only to be informed that it was not possible, and was even shown a printed document to this effect.

The only option that appeared to then be viable was to purchase another sector directly from Colombo to Frankfurt, to connect up with the next leg of my journey to Ljublana, in Slovenia. This necessitated a further two nights in Colombo, followed by an overnight stay in Franfurt, involving a considerable expenditure of funds, which was necessary, for me to proceed with my journey. Fortunately I was able to manage this - only just. So inadvertantly, I was able to spend a short period of time in Frankfurt, and thus expand my knowledge of this part of Germany.

With my interest in music, and classical music in particular, I of course, made it my business to view the available venues amongst which was the local Opera House. I had expected to find a rather historical building in the style of the Vienna Opera House, and was rather suprise to find that it was this glass fronted, modernistic building instead.




This being a Sunday, private sellers of seconhand books, and a few other items were taking advantage of this popular promenade to exhibit their wares. Many appeared to collectors items, not being fluent in the German language, they were of little interest and value to, and for, me.



The modern, air-conditioned, and extremely quiet, trams as we, and those in Europe and the UK know them, and trolleys, as they are called in the US, although today they are being referred to more and more, as "light rail", provide comfortable, safe and speedy, transport right to the front door of the Opera House.





The paved city square with an open air cafe in the foreground, and the church with its medieval architecture in the background, is a common scen of many of the cities of Europe.






Fountains are also to be found extensively in the cities of Europe. Their commonality, far from breading boredom, no two being the same, lift the spirit, and portray a more rustic presence amidst the hustle and bustle of city life.






A further example of the medieval architectural heritage still abounding in Frankfurt and other cites of both Germany and the rest of Europe.






A statue of one of the many medieval Kings that reigned over one of the German states, as they were at an earlier time in history.






With coming of a clear sunny day, although it was still extremely cold, bringing the possibility of more clients than if it had been otherwise, such as overcast and raining, the river ferries were awakening from their nights slumber, and preparing for what promised to bea bountiful day ahead.



And even at this early hour, many were up an about as can be seen on this bridge which at an earlier time was used by motor traffic. It was no closed to them, and now is used purely as a foot-bridge, replete with busker playing numbers from Operetta.

No comments: