Saturday, June 13, 2009

Copenhagen - Denmark


After leaving Austria, and the Tyrollean mountains, I then flew to Copenhagen in Denmark. Imagine my surprise to find that Denmark, along with a few other countries, such as the UK, although a member of the European Common Market, was a monarchy, and still retained its own currency, requiring that I had to change my euro's into the local currency. Although the weather continued to be bitterly cold - by my standards at least - it was not raining, and the sun was shining, albeit without imparting a great deal of warmth.

My first overall impressionwas the proliferation of bicycles on Copenhagen roads. Many were ridden by people in their business suits, and not restricted to the workers alone.




A common sight was the three wheeler, which, by law had to be fitted with an adequate braking system to ensure its safety. Most,if not all, that I saw were fitted out with adequate protection from inclement weather conditions. Every-one, including the children being transported in this way, appeared to enjoying themselves - in spite of the cold. And they were all rugged up with cold weather clothing,scarves, etc. as was I also.

Not only mothers and fathers were involved with the transporting of their children, even the grandparents became involved, presumably baby-sitting whilst the parents attended their place of business.




In this instance the local kindergarten was unable to cope with the number of children placed in their care, with many being bussed to other facilities in the surrounding country-side. The children, along with the parents, appeared to be very happy with this arrangement, with smiles from both sides as the children drove off. I must admit too, that nowhere else that I have travelled, have I seen so many children


Another of the common sights, along with the bicycles, were the roadside cafes. As the weather was so sunny they were heavily patronised.









Everywhere I walked, there were to be found bikes. A lesson which we can all learn from, I feel sure. One predisposing factor being that the country is basically flat. I am not sure how bicyclists would fare in such cities as San Francisco with its steep hills.




This old world public toilet was the only one, and of course, the only one of its type, I found in Copenhagen. Interestingly it only provided facilities for the male population.





At the time that I was there - the middle of April, the trees were just commening to bud and flower, it being early Spring. The flowering of the first Tulips, brightened what was a rather monotone landscape, adding delightful colour to an otherwise grey scene.




It was indeed a delight to see the buskers out on the streets in spite of the coldness of the weather. I love to see them and if at all possible encourage their efforts by donations,and by purchasing their CD's, if they have recorded any.





There were a great many to be seen and heard, playing a great range of instruments.







Almost every type of musi was being played and represented, from classical to country and western.







Some devoted themselves to wearing colourful clothing to enhance their presentation by drawing attention to themslves.







And, of course, although the majority of the buskers were males, now and again I was able to find the feminine members represented.






This couple were giving such a beautiful rendition of the classical music they were playing, that I made a particular effort to enquire about a CD, as none were on display. They informed me that sadly their whole day was taken up earning eanough money to keep body and soul together, so they had no time, or perhapsd money, to make recordings.



All the buskers I have portrayed here were to be seen in an around Copenhagen in one day.

No comments: