Tuesday, July 15, 2008

2008 ROW Lecture Tour - Salt Lake City

The very day I arrived in Salt Lake City it was 34 deg. somewhat warmer than anywhere else I had been and there was snow on the surrounding mountains. The very next day the temperature had plumetted to 6 deg. and stayed there, raining off and on, for most of the rest of my stay. I was fortunate in having clothing with me to deal with almost any eventuality, my wet weather gear enabling me to be out and about whatever was occurring.

The city had a very warm and friendly atmosphere. This was not only my observation, it also appeared to be that of all those I spoke to. And in spite of it being desert country, the streets were most tree lined, and in fact the surroundings seemed quite lush. This may well have been due to it being the end of winter, and it may well have appeared different at the height of summer. SLC is also the Capitol of the state of Utah, as well as being the centre of the Mormon church in the US and the world for that matter. One whole block is dedicated to their activities and is called Temple Square. There are also many other buildings owned and operated by the church in the city.

The Temple, after which the square is named, is not open to the public, and is available to the members of the Mormon church for prayer and contemplation only. As I understand it, no services, as such are conducted in it.





This is the entrance to the Tabernacle which houses the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, which has now become known as America's Choir, due to its outstanding performance. As can be seen, every-one had on their wet-weather gear as it was raining most of the time. You may read more about them by going to:
www.mormontabernaclechoir.org



This is the Salt Lake Tabernacle Organ. Originally built in the 1860's, it has been rebuilt and enlarged through the years, most notably in 1948. It is a magnificent piece of workmanship, especially if we realise that each one of its pipes is laminated wood.
I was fortunate in being able to attend daily recitals on this organ with a different organist, each day I was there.




Here we can see a view of the interior, or auditorium of the Tabernacle. I am not sure of its seating capacity, yet I am sure it runs to a thousand or more.






To quote from the Mormon brochure,"The organs at Salt Lake City's hisorical Temple Sauare represent four distinct approaches to the art of orag building, supporting a longstanding tradition of fine organ music."
Of the four organs mentioned, I was only able to see three, and hear two - the Tabernacle organ, and the Conference Centre organ.


The organ pictured above is to be found in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, to be seen on the right. It is distinctly different and unique in many respects, and was built by a French-Canadian firm, and is said to be decidedly French in its tonal orientation





The Conference Centre, pictured on the left is outside of, and adjacent to,Temple Square. In fact you walk out of Temple Square, and just across the road is the Conference Centre. On another side of the Square, yet not in it, we have the Family History building, in which you may trace your family history. It has been said, and justly so, I believe, that they have the largest data base on family history in the world.


The Conference Centre Organ, the second organ which I was able to see - and hear, is the newest of the organs, having been built between 2000 - 2003. Again to quote from the Morman brochure,"This organ of the American Romantic style employs a symphonic tonal approach with the richness and warmth characteristic of English instruments.



As mentioned, SLC is the Capitaol of Utah and, fortunately as it turned out,in my endeavours to visit the Legislative building, I inadvertantly walked up a street which was on the other side of a very steep valley or canyon down the centre of which was a very fast flowing creek, fed by the melting snows on the surrounding mountains. At first I thought I would need to back-track to find a way around it.


Upon enquiring from a passer-by I was informed that just ahead was a path leading to the bottom. And a most pleasant walk it was indeed, down this long,steep, winding path, till eventually I arrived at the creek.




This was the view I was overlooking as I traversed the path to the bottom of the valley. The building which can be seen at the bottom of the valley, was originally the blacksmith's shop, which has now been re-furbished.
Behind it, and at the top of the hill was the Legislative building, and to reach it required climbing a similar path to the one which I had used to descend the valley. A most enjoyable, and picturesque exercise which I would highly recommend to any-one considering visiting SLC.
The valley was dedicated to the fallen in a number of differnt wars with memorials such as the one viewed here, to be found upon its length. It presented a most delightful atmosphere with its babbling brook and landscaped areas, along with its Memorials.





Opposite the Legislative building were two historic buildings of SLC, one of which was the 18th Ward Chapel of the Mormon Church.






The second building was the Old City Hall, which was now a tourist information centre.








In a city which was established, and dominated by the Mormon church, its historic buildings and businesses, I was quite surprised to find quite a presence of other denominations. The above church is that of the Presbyterians, which, as can be seen, is quite a substantial building indicating that there must be a rather substantial membership.




The Catholic Cathedral and its out-buildings, were also very substantial. Unfortunately due to the surrounding trees, I was unable to achieve a frontal photo. What can be seen though, certainly give an indication of the size and style of the church.

During my wanderings I had also viewed an Episcopalian Cathedral and the Salvation Army, and I feel sure that if I had been more diligent in ferreting them out, most probably would have found others too.

A feature of the Conference Centre was this sky-light of which only the centre is letting the light through, the rest all being mirrors which enhance and magnify the ammount of light received in the auditorium. A most fascinating, and unique arrangement for providing natural light. There was also a roof garden requring very little water due to the high water retention capacity of the materials used for the plants to grow in. These were all natural materials, such as crushed rock whic retained up to ten times its own weight in water.

On the last night of my visit to SLC, I had the joy of being able to attend a rehearsal by the Mormon Tabernacle choir where they sang "Amazing Grace" complete with three pipers from a local Pipe Band. It was most certainly a "grand finale", to a most memorable visit.

No comments: