Sunday, July 6, 2008

2008 ROW Lecture Tour - IOM

After attending the ISRN Conference in Edinburgh, I briefly returned to York, overnighting with my friend Leslie, then caught the train to Manchester to fly to IOM. Here I encountered another small drama as the original quoted departure time had been early morning, and had been changed, prior to my departure from OZ to around midday. It appeared that it had since then been changed back to the original time, and I had not been advised. Fortunately for all concerned there was a later flight available and it was not fully booked. This was a most fortunate out-come, as they usually ask you to pay another fare, and they did not do so in this instance. All in all though, it meant arriving five hours later than originally expected, and I again was fortunate in being able to phone and advise my friend Jane before she had left home to pick me up.

This was not the end of the drama though, as they then proceeded to inform me that my luggage was overweight and I would need divest myself of a couple of Kilo's. Now this was a dilemma, as there really was nothing that I didn't require for my journey. So I asked them how much extra it would be to carry it as it was. It must have been the first time they had been posed such a question, as they looked at me strangely and said they didn't know. Eventually they let it go through, so all was well.

The weather on the IOM was mostly in the tradition of that which I had been experiencing on the rest of my travels as can be readily seen in this photo taken from my place of abode, and looking down towards the harbour in Ramsey.
Ramsey is a delightful small old world, town, remniscent of days gone by, with narrow winding streets, and little traffic. A delight to visit, in these days of hustle and bustle, and roaring traffic.


Fortunately not all of the days spent on the island, nor whilst I was traveling were devoid of sunlight, and the day that I chose to photograph Leni's Fair Trade Shop, in the main street of Ramsey, happened to be one of the very few. Fair Trade has become quite large in the UK, and Leni, with her enterpreneural spirit has enabled it to become well established on the IOM too. Recently with Jane's able assistance, and at her instigation, I would guess, they presented a very successful fashion parade, praised by all and sundry.

My visit there was, of necessity, for a few days only, visiting a client and friends, and then on to the emerald isle - Ireland.

No comments: