Monday, July 7, 2008

2008 ROW Lecture Tour - Ireland

If you ever go across the sea to Ireland, are, of course the opening words of a very popular song, particularly made so by the singer/crooner/film star, Bing Crosby. The Emerald Isle, as it often referred to, has no need, I feel sure, of introduction to the readers of this blog, with many, having some connection in their ancestral background, to this part of the world. And in spite of it not being a huge country with economic clout, or presence in world affairs, it has, through its history of the potato famine, Irish nationalism, along with massive immigration to both the US and Australia, as well as the production of such world famed people as the playwrite, George Bernard Shaw, become a household word, at least in the Western countries.

From the IOM I flew into Dublin, and then from there took the train to Cork. And yes this is the very centre of County Cork which is so well known. From Dublin, I was to phone my friend Brian to advise him whether I was coming by train or bus. I chose the train, as for one, it was considerably faster, a little more than half the time in fact, and much more pleasant than the bus. Also, I arrived in time to do so, which was not certain before then.

I was unable to make contact with Brian, on his home phone, presumably because he had already left home to spend the day in Cork, a fact which turned out to be true, nor on the mobile number which he had supplied to me in an e-mail. On arrival in Cork, I spent a good hour or so trying once again to phone without success. Little did I realise at the time, that the mobile number i had been given was completely wrong, and it was not until some few hours later, travelling around in a taxi searching for his house - and not finding it, that it crossed my mind that this might well be the case, and by this time it was getting quite late in the day. I then set about phoning his sister, who fortunately lived not too far away, and was able to find out his correct number, and subsequently made contact.

After having made contact, Brian advised me to go into the township of Clonakilty where he would meet me in due course. It was just as well that he did so, and did not offer to direct the taxi driver to his home, as I am sure he would never have found it, it being at the end of an extremely narrow,pot hole filled laneway, of some considerable length, devoid of directional signs.




Brian is an avid organic gardener, growing as much of his own vegetables and fruit as he possibly can. Of course, during the winter months it is too cold for most things, the lack of sunlight and warmth, as well as the almost continual rain, mitigates against the activity of growth, with the trees becoming dormant etc. By the time I arrivedthere was just enough warmth for some of the seedlings to become established, although it was still very borderline. The day that this photo was taken was the only day that the sun shone dring my time there.

The PowerPoint lecture I delivered in Clonakilty was well attended by a very enthusiastic audience, held, of all places, in a local hotel. Afterwards, I heard an interesting comment by one of the local gentlemen to his wife, who had attended the lecture, who said," I hope you do not expect me to give up my steaks and ale dear?" Need I comment further!!



The whole of Ireland is dotted with delightful villages and cities which still appear to be unaffected by urbanisation, retaining their charm of yester-year. This view is near Cork, the coastline of Ireland being a series of bays and inlets.

From Clonakilty, I went north to another small village, Carrigaline, where I spent a few days giving talks to the people there, before journeying across to the US.

No comments: