Saturday, May 11, 2013

ROW Lecture Tour 2013 - Toronto

From the UK I flew to my next venue which was Toronto in Canada. There I was accomodated in a delightful Hostel, which appeared to, at first glance, to have been recently renovated. I subsquently found that it was five or six years ago. It was situated at the oposite side of the city to my previous visit a few years ago.


I could not resist taking a photo of the House Rules, which I feel sure you will agree are very relevant and to the point.


Upon arrival in any new town or city, the first requirement is to find a good source of fresh raw food. This market was only a street or so from the place I stayed at on my previous visit. On the first occasion I did not find it till the last day of my visit as it is hidden in the back street and is not at all obvious. It is one of the original markets of Chinatown so I have been informed. And as a part of Chinatown is well known to the locals, yet as I mentioned, not at all obvious.






This is a cross section of the types of shops, and countries represented in this section of Chinatown.


Some of the local colour is here represented in the local street theatre. I am not sure who or what this woman wan endeavouring to portray or represent, nor could I find any-one who could. there was no name on her costume, and her poses were limited to the one shown here and one other. Being partial to street theatre and buskers I could not pass her by without making a contribution.


Next to our posing lady was to found this drummer in the early morning sunlight.


And next the drummer this juggler - 0r should I say "would be" juggler. For he most certainly could not juggle and kepy dropping the balls.


In bygone days the Sears Roebuck catalogue was a very important part of life by bringing into the homes of the people, both urban and in the country, access by mail-order almost evey known commodity. It is heartening to see that they have continued to survive and thrive, having now shortened their namr to just Sears.


Another name and business from the past is the Hudson's Bay Company whose main trade in the very early years was in skins and furs.


These photos will convey some idea of why Chinatown, if it exists in any city you might happen to visit, can be such a wonderful source of even the rarest of foods. The red fruits here are Rambutans.


And of course the king of fruits of the tropics, the Durian, which you either love or hate.


Both the longan seen here, and the ranmbutan, are reltives of the litchi.


Here we see the custard apple and the yellow fruit above them is the Jak fruit


And kast but not least we have the mangsteen. The yellow and red fruits abve the mangosteens are the Dragon fruit.


We could not leave Toronto without mention the Farmer's Market - the St Lawrence Market.


And if we believe the sign, is the No 1 Food Market of the World according to the National Geographic.







No comments: