Sunday, March 29, 2009

Kuala Lumpur

My first port of call is the teeming Malaysian city of Kuala Lumpur, rivalling in size, so I believe with that of the Thai city of Bangkok. This is my second visit here, although on the previous occasion I was here only very briefly, overnight. My first impressions,as on the previous occasion, are that of a mixture of old world living, colonialism, and modern architecture. Almost alongside of one another are to be seen new buildings in the process of active construction, and other older abandoned buildings,only partially completed.

Upon checking my figure on the comparison of Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok, I find that I have mad a gross mis-calculation, with Kuala Lumpur just a little over one tenth the size, at 6.9 million against Bangkok at 64 million.

It was my intention to post some photos at this stage. The computer tells me that it will not allow for this procedure to progress so for the moment, I must request that you be satisfied with the written word.

Suffice it to say that I have checked out the market situation and have found the usual trash and treasure markets, night markets, and so on, and of course the food markets. And yes there are the usual supermarkets to be found scattered around. They are very limited, to our way of thinking, in their availability of fresh produce. The avocados were even coming from Australia, and oranges from California. The farmers markets were not so easy to find, as the people with whom I spoke did not seem to understand what it was I was looking for. Yet when I did find them, they were almost just around the corner, so to speak. And yes, I found a stall selling Durian, and sampled it too. So far, not as good as Thai. I will keep trying.

Today, I am off to find Chinatown, amongst other things. And yes it is hot, just like being in Cairns at the moment. Last night we had a thunder storm, with very little rain. The majority of the population is Muslim 60.4%, and this is the state religion. If you are Malay, you are Muslim as stated in the constitution. 19% are Buddhist, mostly Chinese. 9.1%Christian. 6.3% Hindu.

1 comment:

John Fielder said...

It is now Tuesday evening, and I am due to fly out early tomorrow morning to Colombo in Sri Lanka. It has been a most enlightening time in many ways. The prinary one is to the effect that as far as transportation is concerned, it is very westernised in its out-look where ever-one has to have their own car or motorbike with its subsequent congestion and pollution. Most vehicles containing only one person.And even if we do find some other form of energy to propel our motor vehicles so that they are non-polluting, both by poisonous fumes and sound, can we afford to continue this ever and ongoing congestion on our roads, and their demands for more and more land to be taken over for ever larger roads and highways? I think not.

The current view here is that if you require to walk for more than say three minutes, then it is necessary to take some form of transport, be it taxi, train,bus or mono-rail etc. which ever suits your needs. The reaction that I would much prefer to walk is received with much incredulity, and eventual resignation to some "mad" westerner and his crazy ideas.

Interestingly enough, I set out today to walk what was referred to as a 45 minute stroll, and found that in reality it had turned into a two hour hike. Most enjoyable too.

Last night as I was returning from my evening stroll to the nearby markets to sample the local Durian, I found myself being propositioned six times in as many minutes, and me with my white hair and all. I must admit to dissappointing my pundits by not taking advantage of the occasion. I know that in spite of my denial there will be some who will wonder. So let them wonder!!!

Life would be extremely dull if we could not laugh at ourselves.

John