Sunday, March 15, 2009

Farm Update March 16

This may well be the last up-date on the farm prior to my departure on my annual ROW Lecture Tour which commences on Saturday 28 March, with my return being two months later on Thursday 28 May.

As usual, this will be a very busy time with my first port of call being Kuala Lumpur, in Maylasia. From there I travel to Colombo, Sri Lanka, and to Chennai, in India. Then to Slovenia, Austria, Denmark, the UK, IOM, and on to the USA, where my destinations are, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Toledo, Cleveland, NY, Wilmington,Hots Springs,Houston,San Diego, Los Angeles, then back to OZ, with a stop-over in Sydney to see my daughter, and home to Cairns. I will be making posts along the way on this blog, so do keep in touch, and do feel free to make comments.

With all of that ahead of me, I wished to make sure that some new plants were in the ground and establishing themselves on the new trellis prior to my leaving.

This is the newest trellis which was completed only last week which I planted with passion fruit vines today. The first, and oldest trellis is to be seen to the right and in the background.






This was the second trellis built which I was only able to complete last week also with the able assistance of my friends. In the first instance it required about one month for me to build one on my own. In the last, and third instance, we completed it in two days.





Here we have the first of the young papaya trees that were planted yesterday. It is my intention to plant 15 or 16 in this fenced area. Un fortunately we are unable to grow without a fence to protect them from roaming animals, including the neighbours cattle, wallabies and kangaroos, to name the most prevalent ones.

2 comments:

HeARTworkHeather said...

Hello John,
I said I would leave you a comment and here it is!
Bon Voyage! What a pity that I am not able to come and stay with you in early April when I come over to Queensland. Let's stay in touch and arrange another time for me to come over and stay a while, so I can do some silk painting in the Daintree.
I love your blog, last time I looked you had just started it a while back..
Here is the link to my recent exhibition for you: enjoy the music that Bing Futch composed to go with the photos:(we are making a video) So listen to this as you watch the photos :) http://www.darkstudios.com/Bing%20Futch%20-%20Mia%20Cafe.mp3
http://gallery.me.com/heartworkheather/100751
Best wishes for your safe return, Much love,
Heather Barker,
Woodlands, Perth Western Australia.
www.HeARTworkheather.com

John Fielder said...

Hi Heather,
Thank you so much for your posting. I too am indeed most sorry that we will not be able to meet up this time around. And yes, we will stay in touch and arrange another time in the near future.
The video sounds great as well as the silk painting, and will love to share with you our experiences since we last met.
Go well.

John