Sunday, August 3, 2008

ROW Lecture Tour 2008 - Los Angeles

My time in Los Angeles was rather brief with just one lecture prior to my returning home to Cairns. Again my memory was such that I had taken more photos to share with you than I actually did, for which I offer my apologies.

One question which I am often asked is how do I fare for food on my travels, as I eat no cooked foods at all, only raw food. My reply is inevitably to the effect that wherever I have travelled there are always to be found markets. And yes it does require some searching to find them at times. Mostly though, in these days of supermarkets, and with these often having sections selling organically grown produce, it really presents no problem at all. Finding them can be a part of the exploring and getting to know the area in which I am staying, which in itself, gives added enjoyment to my journey.

Across the whole of the US there are to be found Farmers Markets which have been in existence for time immemorial. Originally they were designed to enable the farmers to sell their produce directly to the public in a covered and somewhat congenial atmosphere. Today there are very few produce stalls, and mostly pre-pepared food, such as you see in this photo taken in this Farmers Market in L/A



Much of the surrounding area of this particular Farmer's Market has been beautified with these rather upmarket street stalls, with the track that can be seen, carrying an early trolley to carry people to the surrounding up-market shopping centre. Unfortunately it was not operating the day I was there - so no photo to share with you.

No comments: