Monday, December 1, 2008

Susan's Story

EATING RAW by Susan Fulton

I initially heard about the Raw Food way of eating through my daughter. She was living in South Africa at the time, and had met Dr John Fielder when he was visiting a mutual friend. At a later stage she had a complete physical breakdown and developed hypothyroidism. This was brought on through extreme stresses in her life at the time. She was not happy with the medical treatment she was receiving, so when invited to go to Australia for treatment under Dr Fielder, she went. The end results were amazing. Her health and vitality were restored to a level surpassing anything she had previously experienced in life – an end result that the medical fraternity back in South Africa found impossible to believe – and would not believe. For myself, I was very impressed and thrilled at the news, but had not thought of switching to raw foods at that time.

At the beginning of 2005 I myself was in a very poor state of health. For many years I had been the sole carer of my elderly husband who had Alzheimer’s. He finally died in February 2005.

My daughter had come to the Isle of Man during this time, and was staying with me after my husband’s death. I drew her attention to a nasty ulcer I had on my leg. In spite of all my treatments the condition had worsened to such an extent that I told her I felt I should now have to go to the doctor. I have always avoided antibiotics, and knew that they would be prescribed. Following on her own experiences under Dr Fielder, she asked if I was willing to go on a fast. I agreed to this and rested both physically and mentally in bed for three days, whilst drinking large amounts of water. My own system then went into action, and the ulcer started to heal.

For some time I had thought of switching to the raw food way of eating, and stated that now seemed to be the ideal time to start. Initially my daughter gave me natural juices to bring me out of the fast, then gradually introduced the raw foods.

I am now 87 years of age and have been eating this way for the last 4 years. It has done wonders for my health, and taken years off my life both in ability and appearance. It had another amazing bonus. Buying clothes had always been a problem as I had a figure known as ‘pear shaped’. Miraculously this rectified, and in my case enabled me to purchase a standard 12, a fact that is sure to appeal to ladies!

Not for anything would I ever return to my previous way of eating, and if you study the anatomy of the human body, you will see that it is designed for the eating of raw foods.

I live in a flat, but am fortunate in having access to locally grown organic vegetables and do my best by obtaining the organic fruits and seeds, nuts etc from the health shop and local stores. I lead a very active life, and have no need to go to a doctor or take any medication, with the exception of thyroxin which I found necessary due to the partial removal of my thyroid when living in South Africa.

Recipe books are available for those more adventurous, but I am happy to keep it simple. Some nations are having appalling problems with obesity. This could be so simply avoided were the people to eat raw foods. Here’s hoping!

No comments: